[XML-SIG] A small SGML question

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:11:53 -0400

In general, Netscape and MSIE never give correct behaviours.

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> NS, MSIE, and the current version of sgmllib all treat ">" as end of tag,
> even if it's quoted.  The specs I've been looking at seem to hint that is
> not the correct behaviour.  Who's right?

As in Python, string literals must have both a start and end quote
character or else they "run-on" to the end of the document. The free way
to check these things is to use nsgmls from http://www.jclark.com/sp

<!DOCTYPE meta [
<!ELEMENT META EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST META NAME CDATA #IMPLIED
	       CONTENT CDATA #IMPLIED>
]>

nsgmls:test.sgm:7:1:E: an entity end in a literal must terminate an
entity referenced in the same literal

In this particular case, a decent HTML validator might also help to give
you the right answer. Some are based on nsgmls.

http://www.probiz.net/faq/validators.html

"Journalism is good if you follow the rules. Don't allow the human
rights groups to spoil your profession"
    - Col. Godwin Ugbo of the  Nigerian military dictatorship