[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Alan Kennedy alan at xhaus.com
Tue Sep 22 13:00:06 CEST 2009

[Armin]
> Of course a server configuration variable would be a solution for many
> of these problems, but I don't like the idea of changing application
> behavior based on server configuration.

So you don't like the way that Django, Werkzeug, WebOb, etc, do it
now, even though they appear to be mostly successful, and you're happy
to cite them as such?

>From the applications point of view, a framework-level configuration
variable is the same as a server-level configuration variable.

> At that point we will finally
> have successfully killed the idea of nested WSGI applications, because
> those could depend on different charsets.

Wouldn't well-written applications depend on unicode?

The server configured charset is simply an explicit statement of the
character set from which incoming requests are to be decoded, into
unicode, and no other character set.

Alan.