[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Tue Sep 22 12:42:03 CEST 2009

Hi,

Alan Kennedy schrieb:
> Hmmm, define "know" ;-)
The charset of incoming data, the charset of URLs, the charset of
outgoing data, the charset of whatever the application uses, is what the
application decides it to be.  Most new applications go with utf-8 for
everything these days.

> I see this as being the same as Graham's suggested approach of a
> per-server configurable charset, which is then stored in the WSGI
> dictionary.
SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO are different because URLs as entered by the
user will always be utf-8 in modern browsers.  Even if the application
decides to have latin1 URLs.

Of course a server configuration variable would be a solution for many
of these problems, but I don't like the idea of changing application
behavior based on server configuration.  At that point we will finally
have successfully killed the idea of nested WSGI applications, because
those could depend on different charsets.

Regards,
Armin