[Web-SIG] WSGI 1 Changes [ianb's and my changes]

Alan Kennedy alan at xhaus.com
Fri Sep 18 13:51:33 CEST 2009

[Rene]
>> I think you mean pre-2.2 support, not python 2.2?  iterators came
>> about in python 2.2.

[Armin]
> That might be.  That was before my time.  I'm pretty sure the first
> Python version I used was 2.3, but don't quote me on that.

As WSGI was being developed, cpython was at version 2.3.

The only reason that support for "older versions" was in the spec was
because jython was at version 2.1 at the time.

The WSGI spec was made much simpler by the use of the iterator
protocol (PEP 234), which was in introduced into the language in 2.2.
So where the spec says

"Supporting Older (<2.2) Versions of Python"

It should probably have read

"Supporting Older (pre-pep-234-iterator-protocol) Versions of Python"

I don't know of any modern python implementation that doesn't support
the iterator protocol.

It's probably time to drop that section from the PEP.

Alan.