[Web-SIG] WSGI 1 Changes [ianb's and my changes]

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:15:45 CEST 2009

2009/9/18 Armin Ronacher <armin.ronacher at active-4.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Graham mentioned that the WSGI development might further drift apart
> based on the changes Ian Bicking and I did on DjangoCon in a separate hg
> repository [1] for the WSGI PEP.
>
> I just want to point out that these are in no way final and are further
> intended to only clarify some of the wrong wordings for Python 2, give
> us a real readline() function on the input stream and get rid of useless
> old cruft such as Python 2.2 support and Jython compatibility which no
> longer appears to be a problem.
>
> My personal Idea would be making that PEP WSGI 1.1 and having a separate
> one for Python 3.  The reason for pushing up the number would be that
> frameworks then can figure out if they have to safely process the input
> stream because there is no useful readline function or not.
>
> [1]: http://bitbucket.org/ianb/wsgi-peps/

My concern over seeing the changes is that because no overall plan had
been described by Ian or you as to where you were going in making the
changes, I couldn't see what the end goal was going to be. Thus,
didn't know whether you had a particular end point in mind, ie., a
specific definition of how things should work, or whether you were
just going to incrementally make changes and see what fell out of the
process at the end. I guess I just find it hard to know what you are
trying to do by reading individual changes.

Your comment above about 'having a separate one (specification) for
Python 3' also worries me a bit. That is sort of what I want to avoid.
I would rather we try and use language such that a single
specification would apply meaningfully to all Python versions. I
acknowledge there will still end up being some subtle differences with
how things will work between Python 2.X and Python 3.X, but I don't
think it is enough to warrant a separate specification for Python 3.X,
which in my mind would only confuse things.

So, how about describing your overall master plan? :-)

Graham