[Web-SIG] WSGI 1 Changes [ianb's and my changes]

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:01:45 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Armin Ronacher
<armin.ronacher at active-4.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> René Dudfield schrieb:
>> I don't like yours and Ians changes with regard to cgi.  cgi exists.
>> Breaking wsgi apps on cgi is silly.
> Can you give an example on where we break CGI compatibility?
>

>From this link:  http://bitbucket.org/ianb/wsgi-peps/changeset/b51893478f9a/
It says "Because of this future revisions of WSGI will most likely
switch away from a raw CGI environment to require the server to
provide these values to be quoted and available on a different key."

That sounds like wsgi is breaking cgi... or plans to break cgi.  cgi
is one of those things that just isn't going to die... it's still
useful and used.  I'm not sure if those changes actually break cgi or
not... but that wording sounds like they do.

Also on that link, why not explicitly state that python 2.x should use
str or StringType there?  (line 977).

>> I think you mean pre-2.2 support, not python 2.2?  iterators came
>> about in python 2.2.
> That might be.  That was before my time.  I'm pretty sure the first
> Python version I used was 2.3, but don't quote me on that.

It was definitely 2.2.  So I think that needs to be changed in your
changes - and related changes double checked.
See http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.2.html

>> Fixing the python3 wsgi situation needs to happen very soon(it's been
>> a year already!).  I don't think delaying it any longer is a good idea
>> for python 3 and for python as a whole.  So making a separate wsgi
>> version will not be good if a new wsgi comes out for python3.
> I agree that WSGI for Python 3 has to be fixed, I'm just not yet
> convinced that Python 3 is what will be relevant anytime soon.  From my
> current perspective there is still too much left unanswered in Python 3.

It looks like python3 issues are being addressed in your changes anyway.

Work on python3 building blocks needs to happen soon otherwise it will
hold up lots of people from even porting their code to python3.  wsgi
is one of the main things lagging behind in the python3 porting
effort.

I think both mod_wsgi and cherrypy have worked on issues with python3,
and it seems like there is agreement there on most issues.  So we have
two implementations to play with, and people have more experience with
python3 now... so we should be in a good position to get python3
related changes through quickly.

Thanks for your work on this.

cheers!