[Web-SIG] Alternative to threading.local, based on the stack

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Jul 7 21:31:05 CEST 2008

Ian Bicking ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> As an example, in Paste you have choosed to using config dictionary
>> for middleware configuration, that is, you have middleware factories.
>
> I think this is a red herring.  WebOb specifically doesn't do anything
> related to configuration or the setup of the stack.  What it does do is
> stuff like:
>
> expires = http.format_time(0)
> http.generate_cookie(
>     environ, headers, name, '', expires=expires,
>     domain=cookie_domain(environ), path=path,
>     max_age=0)
>
> which would be resp.delete_cookie(name) (well, cookie_domain seems to be
> derived from a setting, but that's mostly unrelated).  This isn't a
> particularly substantial difference, but these small conveniences add up.

As I have said, this is a personal taste, I don't like the
"architecture" used by WebOb and prefer to directly use the environ
dictionary without introducing other abstractions.
This is possible, I'm writing a "not simple" application using wsgix.

I'm still evaluating if I can reuse WebOb parsing functions (and this
would be a great thing: I think that we *really* need a package with
*only* low *level* parsing functions for the HTTP protocol).

 From what I can see, WebOb *does* not offer a low level interface for
the parsers: you *have* to use the Request object.

I really like multilevel architectures, instead.

Manlio Perillo