[Web-SIG] Are both htmllib and HTMLParser needed?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 19:43:18 CET 2008

Fred Drake wrote:
> I'd be in favor of keeping only HTMLParser, with a compliant module
> name ("htmlparser" doesn't seem unreasonable).  The code was
> originally derived from htmllib for the Grail webbrowser, mostly to
> make things like attribute handling less painful.

Really? Cool. My first encounter with HTMLParser was when it was used
for Zope's ZPT engine.

I have memories of petitioning Guido to get it into the standard library
at the time, although I guess my petitioning and its real reason for
inclusion may have been coincidental.

It's been a while since I had to use an html parser directly, but from
what I remember, HTMLParser is much less of a PITA than the available
standard library alternatives...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk