[Web-SIG] Removal of Cookie in Python 3.0 OK?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Feb 4 21:50:15 CET 2008

> I think most web frameworks use setuptools at this point.  I'd rather
> get this as a distribution, rather than from the standard library.  In
> fact, I'd prefer to see all web-development libraries distributed
> separate from the language in Python 3.

Jim, you want to have most things separate, if I've read your recent
posts to the dev and 3k lists correctly.  Lean and mean Python
distribution.  I'd agree with you if we had the infrastructure for it,
something which would function at least as well as apt-get does,
pulling dependencies and doing platform and version checks
automatically.  But I don't think Python is anywhere near that level
of infrastructure, and it's a bit of a stretch just to maintain the
infrastructure that currently exists.  Given that, I think that moving
functionality out of the standard library would damage Python, not
improve it.  Given that, I'd rather see what's in the stdlib be
updated to best-of-breed, instead of
the-first-thing-we-thought-of-in-1995, as all too much of it is.

Bill