[Web-SIG] reorg of web-related modules for Python 3K

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Feb 4 07:43:39 CET 2008

Bill Janssen wrote:
> Over on the stdlib-sig, Brett's proposing that we move some of the
> HTTP-related classes:
>
>> OK, to keep this ball rolling, here is my suggestion for reorganizing
>> HTTP modules:
>>
>>   httplib -> http.tools
>>   BaseHTTPServer -> http.server
>>   SimpleHTTPServer -> http.server
>>   CGIHTTPServer -> http.server

I think WSGI is a better interface than any of these.  BaseHTTPServer is
a reasonable basis for building a server (wsgiref.simple_server and
other's use it), but the subclasses are a little funky IMHO.  Giving
them the name http.server makes them seem like the Right Solution, and I
don't think they are.  They're more like server-building tools.

>>   cookielib -> http.cookies
>>
>> Since the various HTTP server modules have no name clashes we
>> can consolidate them into a single module.
>
> Seems reasonable to me, but I thought it should be looked at in this
> forum.  All this is going into PEP 3108, so either join the stdlib-sig,
> or read the PEP, if you care about all this.
>
> Alexandre Vassalotti further proposes the following:
>
>> xmlrpclib -> xmlrpc.tools
>> SimpleXMLRPCServer -> xmlrpc.server
>> DocXMLRPCServer -> xmlrpc.server

Similarly here I think there are better ways to arrange servers than
these subclasses -- both more reusable and simpler.

   Ian