[Web-SIG] reorg of web-related modules for Python 3K

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon Feb 4 06:01:15 CET 2008

Over on the stdlib-sig, Brett's proposing that we move some of the
HTTP-related classes:

> OK, to keep this ball rolling, here is my suggestion for reorganizing
> HTTP modules:
>
>   httplib -> http.tools
>   BaseHTTPServer -> http.server
>   SimpleHTTPServer -> http.server
>   CGIHTTPServer -> http.server
>   cookielib -> http.cookies
>
> Since the various HTTP server modules have no name clashes we
> can consolidate them into a single module.

Seems reasonable to me, but I thought it should be looked at in this
forum.  All this is going into PEP 3108, so either join the stdlib-sig,
or read the PEP, if you care about all this.

Alexandre Vassalotti further proposes the following:

> xmlrpclib -> xmlrpc.tools
> SimpleXMLRPCServer -> xmlrpc.server
> DocXMLRPCServer -> xmlrpc.server

Personally, I'd put those under "http.", or maybe "http.xmlrpc.".

Bill