[Web-SIG] serving (potentially large) files through wsgi?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Dec 18 23:34:57 CET 2007

At 10:10 PM 12/18/2007 +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>Ok.
>Here I would just say that when someone install something on its
>system, it should at least know what he is doing.

And I repeat: you're welcome to your opinions about what's good or
bad, but that has nothing to do with WSGI's design rationale, which
is based on *different* goals.

It is in fact a design goal of WSGI that someone who does NOT "know
what they are doing" should be able to install Python web
applications.  After all, it is certainly possible for PHP
applications -- often in *spite* of PHP's ridiculously global and
mutually incompatible configuration options

>And about an option for range control, it is true that it will
>"force" an user to make a choice, but this is not a good reason for
>not adding the option at all.

In the context of WSGI's design goals, it's an excellent reason.  If
you have different design goals, you may disagree -- but at that
point, you're no longer talking about WSGI.

>This is about server flexibility:

Which, as I've already explained, is an *anti*-feature relative to
WSGI's design goals.

Simply restating your opinion over and over won't change that.  You
are free to have different design goals, and even to argue that
WSGI's goals are misguided.

However, it is pointless to argue that these are *not* WSGI's goals
(since I defined them), or to imply that such "flexibility"
*supports* WSGI's goals (since it does not).