[Web-SIG] Rack: WSGI on Ruby

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Apr 1 06:36:04 CEST 2007

http://rack.rubyforge.org/

Interestingly, they take the approach we're talking about for WSGI 2.0, as
far as a call signature taking one argument and returning three.

The spec is brief and to the point, in part because of that simplicity, but
also because they're ignoring HTTP 1.1 and issues like our read() problems
with the input stream.  They're also ignoring flow control, push,
asynchronous servers, etc.

Actually, the whole thing seems pretty underspecified, but then they have
some advantages we didn't.  At the time WSGI was created, depending on an
external library like wsgiref that wasn't in the stdlib was an almost
unheard-of luxury.  Anyway, the fact that they can define the thing in
terms of a canonical implementation, *and* don't have to worry as much
about backward compatibility with a wide variety of web frameworks, means
that they can probably actually get away with it.