[Web-SIG] Possible specs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 13 05:03:08 CET 2006

At 07:45 PM 11/12/2006 -0800, Robert Brewer wrote:
>Sessions have 1) been around forever, 2) have consistently been done
>similarly for each implementation, and 3) already require interoperation
>with third party code (database APIs), so introducing a common interface
>would not introduce any overhead. Therefore, session handling would be the
>only candidate I see for standardization.

And even sessions are full of potential pitfalls for standardization, due
to differences in things like authenticated vs. non-authenticated sessions,
retention/expiration policies, and differing limitations on what can be stored.

Of course, there are also those persons like myself, who believe that the
very concept of sessions as something apart from an application's domain
model is the devil's work, doing harm to both the users and the
enterprise.  ;-)  (E.g. ask yourself if Amazon.com uses anything that would
be traditionally called a "session" database - their sessions are
permanent, identified, and even an anonymous person's shopping cart items
are retained for *90 days*.  And you can bet dollars to donuts that they
can join "session" data to non-session data in their database queries.)

So, from my POV, having session bags where you can just dump whatever old
data you please, without regard to the application's DB design (not to
mention backup/uptime guarantees of the DB service), are things of the
vilest evil that should be cast back into the bowels of Microsoft from
whence they came, or something like that.  :)   (I first encountered
sessions in MS's early ASP stuff, but perhaps they got the idea from
somewhere else.)

Anyway, that's basically off-topic except to point out that even if you
*are* a Satanis... er, sessionist, ;-), then you can still have
wide-ranging disagreements over data retention policy, locking, etc., etc.