[Web-SIG] [Python-Dev] Adding wsgiref to stdlib

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Tue May 2 17:13:17 CEST 2006

> Anything that could be considered of sufficiently industrial strength
> to be secure and scalable in production would necessarily be such a
> large project, such a complex code base, and have such  different
> release cycle that it would not make a good standard library
> candidate. (Think mod_python, Twisted, Zope, Apache; think tail
> wagging the doc.)

I was thinking into products that have shown good results over the last
past year and are far less complex than the ones you mention. There are
existing implementations that could be easily extracted from their
environment and might be better: CherryPy, Paste, Pylons, Colubrid, etc.
all offer what wsgiref provides (well to what I understand from wsgiref
code, Phillip could correct my knowledge here).

Nevertheless, it might be more useful to define the boundaries of
including a WSGI implementation to the stdlib before even choosing one.

AFAIK, WSGI is splitted into three distinct layers.

A web server
Some middlewares
An application

We will not include middlewares I believe.
I'm not sure I would see the point of adding a default WSGI application.

So we're left with the web server part to test and then see which is the
one filling the best the criteria folks around here may decide to
discriminate on.

- Sylvain