[Web-SIG] Standalone WSGI form framework.

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Wed Mar 15 18:44:23 CET 2006

-> I'm looking for a framework-independent form library. I'm using the
-> Quixote forms library at the moment, inside my own framework, but
-> would ideally like something more WSGI oriented, so that it is easier
-> to mock and unittest.

hi, Alan,

I'm confused by this -- this could mean that you want to separate the
quixote forms lib from the Quixote 'request' object, I guess.  What
else?

In any case, please let me (or the list) know if you find something that
matches all of your requirements.  Apart from the WSGI aspect,
the quixote forms lib has #1, #2, #5, and I think #6.  It does also
attempt to generate HTML, but you can always just not call the render()
functions, right? ;)  It might be relatively easy to add the features
to the quixote forms lib, too...

thanks,
--titus

-> My ideal form framework should do the following
->
-> 1. Parsing of submitted POST requests, etc
-> 2. Binding of incoming form variables to the attributes of a target
-> python data object
-> 3. Customisable validation, with management of validation error messages.
-> 4. Generate unique (hierarchical) field names for sub-attributes of
-> the data object to be edited, which are javascript-identifier-safe,
-> i.e. can be used as the names of HTML form input elements.
-> 5. Handle multipart/form-data
-> 6. Nice-to-have: transparently handle multi-page forms, e.g. hub forms, etc.
->
-> It should NOT
->
-> 1. Attempt to generate HTML, or be tied to a specific templating mechanism