[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Dave Warnock david at sundayta.com
Tue May 3 10:59:56 CEST 2005

Robert,

I am with you.  Ian mentioned wanting the javascript to be agnostic
about the back end (ie work for servers in any python framework and even
ones in other languages).  I think the same should be true for the front
end. The server should not be producing special output for a javascript
front end. Instead the server should have a standard RESTful API that
any front end tool can use.

One thing I have found is that when you have a good RESTful api to the
server it becomes much much easier to script the server. If the server
spurts javascript you lose this ability. If the server is RESTful then
frontends in flash or whatever are just as possible.

Dave