[Web-SIG] JavaScript libraries

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Tue May 3 00:02:30 CEST 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> On 5/2/05, mike bayer <mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> what kind of features are you looking for in these javascript
>> libraries ?
>>

> The "Dynamic HTML" book from O'Reilly has the beginnings of what I'm
> looking for.  It is a compatibility layer so that things like layers,
> repositioning, etc. work cross-platform.  I think the code could have
> been better and more extensive, so I'm hoping someone out there has
> seen such a library.  A lot of things in JavaScript are very rough and
> basic, sort of like C.  I fear I've steered this mailing list very off
> topic, for which I apologize.  Accept it as a compliment for the
> shared brain power of this list. ;)

I think there is no substitute for experience. Personally I have
found that using abstractions which try to shield you from browser
unpleasantness merely obscure the real source of the error or
incompatibility which inevitably happens anyway.

Of course, not everyone has the time or patience to accumulate the
needed experience. With the renewed interest in DHTML thanks to
gmail, Google Maps, and AJAX, I think it is time to set up some
community specifically to discuss modern javascript techniques.
Searching the web yields pitiful results, with lots of ancient
javascript designed for copy-and-pasters who want rollovers on their
animated gifs.

The shared brain power of a new list and web site which attracted
users from communities other than the Python community could be
valuable, as well. At the same time, we could subtly enlighten people
to the joys of Python just by exposing them to it.

Donovan