[Web-SIG] A query for hosting providers

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Mar 29 01:47:24 CEST 2005

> * Long running processes are hard to maintain (assuming we rule out
> CGI).  Code becomes stale, maybe the server process gets in a bad state.
>    Sometimes processes becomes wedged.  With mod_python this can effect
> the entire site.

I've been extremely impressed at how well Python's VM does at this.  I
run Medusa-based services for months at a time without trouble -- in
fact, they run fine till the machine is rebooted.  These servers are
doing multithreaded text and graphics manipulation with regular
expressions and PIL.  They often run Linux scripts in subprocesses.
Wedges are extremely rare, and I have yet to see one caused by Python
code.

Bill