[Web-SIG] HTMLTemplate

Ksenia Marasanova ksenia at ksenia.nl
Fri Jun 3 10:20:18 CEST 2005

> On 6/2/05, Ksenia Marasanova <ksenia at ksenia.nl> wrote:
>

>> I used it quite a lot, and while it is fast, bugs free and simple to
>> use, total separation of markup and code is IMHO contraproductive -
>> every simple change mostly requires changing two files.
>>
>> --Ksenia
>>

> Is changing two files too much trouble? Anytime we add an abstraction
> layer its a trade off. On one hand things are more structured and
> presumably more adaptable to change. On the other hand it adds
> complexity. Here on one end of the sprectrum we have highly structured
> framework like Java struts. Adding one field may need a change to a
> bean class, a form class, an action class, the template and perhaps a
> few XML files. On the other end of the spectrum we have PHP where you
> do everything in place. You just need to find you equilibrium on how
> much is too much.

Yes, exactly. I liked the idea of DOM temlating a lot, but after
using HTMLTemplate for a while felt the need for (IMHO) more freedom
and moved toward Preppy/Cheetah approach. Other people move the
opposite direction.

> (by the way didn't I just heard somebody scream
> 'they put the whole $%^* application code in PHP templates!!!' ;-)

:)) That hurts...

> Actually rather than editing two files, the biggest issue I encounter
> is the presentation code is supposed to match the DOM tree. So anytime
> you change the DOM you would have to change the structure of your code
> as well.

Yes, me too, that was one of the reasons for editing multiple files.