[Web-SIG] HTMLTemplate

Tim Gilbert tim at skreak.com
Fri Jun 3 04:30:54 CEST 2005

[Oops, just realized I sent this directly to Shannon instead of the
list.  Sorry if you see it twice, Shannon.]

HTMLTemplate is an interesting approach, although the API (or maybe the
API documentation) seems a little convoluted.  Another template system
which takes a similar tack is PyMeld (http://www.entrian.com/PyMeld/).
I am very impressed by its simplicity and pythonicity; it's definitely
worth a look if the HTMLTemplate approach appeals to you.

I agree with Mike Bayer's earlier comments, although in fairness all
that logic would properly belong in the view layer, not the controller
(or model), and it could be abstracted away from the controller easily
enough.

On a slightly related note, I am gearing up to do a comparison of Python
templating systems, similar to the PyWebOff or Ian's web framework
shootout; with any luck it should be ready to be announced by next week
sometime.

Tim