[Web-SIG] Standardized configuration

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Jul 24 02:41:43 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 20:21 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:08 PM 7/23/2005 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> >Would you maybe rather make it more explicit that some apps are also
> >gateways, e.g.:
> >
> >[application:bleeb]
> >config = bleeb.conf
> >factory = bleeb.factory
> >
> >[filter:blaz]
> >config = blaz.conf
> >factory = blaz.factory
>
> That looks backwards to me.  Why not just list the sections in pipeline
> order?  i.e., outermost middleware first, and the final application last?
>
> For that matter, if you did that, you could specify the above as:
>
>      [blaz.factory]
>      config=blaz.conf
>
>      [bleeb.factory]
>      config=bleeb.conf

Guess that would work for me, but out of the box, ConfigParser doesn't
appear to preserve section ordering.  I'm sure we could make it do that.
Not a dealbreaker either, but if you ever did want a way to
declaratively configure something in the config file like the generic
"decision middleware" I described in that message, this wouldn't really
work.  I hadn't described it yet, but I can also imagine declaring
multiple pipelines in the config file and using decision middleware to
choose the first app in the next pipeline (as opposed to just an app).

- C