[Web-SIG] Re: WSGIKit and frameworks

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 18 04:55:05 CEST 2005

michael bayer wrote:
> my particular confusion, and this may very well be because i am not
> digging in heartfully enough into the docs, is that the main example is
> very much bonded to using Webware and Zope templates, and since I am
> unfamiliar with those it is very difficult for me to see what parts of
> the example are specific to Webware/Zope and which are strictly part of
> WSGIKit (and therefore, the targets I would need to mold my own
> application to).

Well, it depends how you are coming at it.  WSGIKit architecturally
isn't tied to Webware or ZPT, but right now that's the only set of
things that have been completely integrated.  (Well, ZPT was integrated
with Webware API, not with WSGIKit particularly.)  So... if you just
want to *use* WSGIKit, you have to use Webware right now.  But if you
are willing to hack about, the system is fairly flexible.  The
flexibility is not documented, but it might be easiest to respond to
what you are specifically looking to do than go into the whole
architecture, which I haven't figured out quite how to explain yet.

> but if I may ask one super-boneheaded question, im sure its entirely
> RTFM-worthy, when I look inside the example .py files underneath
> wsgikit/app_templates/webkit_zpt/, what am I seeing with variables like
> $app_name and ${app_name}, although underneath /examples/todo_sql/web/
> they seem to be filled in.  is that like "your code goes here" type of
> thing, or is there some script processing that ?

When you run:

   app-setup --template=webkit_zpt create

It fills in those files, so they are templates for the application.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org