[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

michael bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Mon Apr 18 01:26:15 CEST 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 1:18 PM, Brendan O'Connor wrote:
> Let me put it this way: I've spent weeks and weeks researching many
> many python frameworks, but never found one that seemed proven in
> terms of adoption by a large number of high-traffic sites.

one could say the same thing about Rails.

>  And since
> you can never really learn how good a framework is until you try it
> out, this information gathering had a tremendous cost!  That cost
> slows down the entire community and keeps people out -- at some level,
> it's good just to have popularity among simple web developers, not
> just the people willing to hack around and create new frameworks.

for various reasons, some of which I think are historial, none of the
frameworks have really had all the elements in place which would enable
them to catch on to the degree necessary that there would be a
substantial supporting community, established maturity of design,
straightforward base of documentation, and ongoing progressive
development, which is what the entering developer is looking for.  But
i dont think this is because there are too many frameworks.  i think
its just because none of them have caught on to a great enough degree,
as of yet.

i think no matter how many frameworks there are, if one of them is
truly superior, easy to use, and can grow as much as the site can, it
will become a winner all on its own (note I didnt say *the* winner).
the current plethora presents no hindrance to that.