[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Brendan O'Connor brendan.t.oconnor at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:18:21 CEST 2005

> > Amen. I don't mean to slam the work of any web framework developers,
> > but you can't overestimate how much it helps just-beginning web
> > developers to see a unified framework, or at least a good website that
> > directs them to one particular way to do things.
>
> this is what i dont understand; whats so hard about doing a little
> research ?  why do people need to be told only one way of doing things
> ?  python is not the the mcdonalds of computer languages...its
> sophisticated and thoughtful.   If youre dealing with a thoughtful and
> sophisticated community, you need to approach it in a more thoughtful
> and sophisticated way.    its reasonable to expect the community to
> work up some standards for interoperability....but less so to present a
> monolithic one-size-fits-all methodology to the masses so that nobody
> need be bothered with some thinking and decision making.   that just
> dulls the community down to its most unsophisticated level and insures
> only the most mediocre outcomes.

Let me put it this way: I've spent weeks and weeks researching many
many python frameworks, but never found one that seemed proven in
terms of adoption by a large number of high-traffic sites.  And since
you can never really learn how good a framework is until you try it
out, this information gathering had a tremendous cost!  That cost
slows down the entire community and keeps people out -- at some level,
it's good just to have popularity among simple web developers, not
just the people willing to hack around and create new frameworks.

-Brendan