[Web-SIG] Re: Pure Python HTML?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh at cafepy.com
Wed Apr 13 07:33:57 CEST 2005

Eric Radman wrote:
> On 12:22 Tue 12 Apr     , Bill Janssen wrote:
>
>>>The minimal Zope 3 code is a page template and a few lines of ZCML in a
>>>Python package with an empty __init__.py to hook up a new view to an
>>>existing object (say, a folder). There's no Python code *at all*
>>
>>From my point of view, that's the problem.  I don't want to write in
>>some cumbersome and buggy XML format (which is what I'm guessing ZCML
>>is) when I could be writing clean Python code.
>

> I don't know about you, but generating HTML with pure Python code can be
> messy--ONE reason why we introduce templateing languages in the first
> place. Often (not always) the best way to end up with XHTML is to start
> with a valid or almost-valid XML document and then infuse the dynamic
> content.

On the other hand, I find Quixote's PTL[1] very useful. It is very close
to Python and automatically escapes problem-chars (like '<'). Also I can
factor and reuse parts of a page just like I do with code.

Cheers,
Shalabh

[1]
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/Quixote-2.0.tar.gz/Quixote-2.0/doc/PTL.txt