[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

michael bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Sat Apr 9 20:30:57 CEST 2005

my own project, Myghty, is modeled after Perl's HTML::Mason, which in
turn is a lot like PHP with regards to "just plug it in and start
writing pages".  it does foster a more compentized design than PHP and
also integrates nicely into whatever  MVC framework the developer
chooses.  Myghty also includes a rudimentary MVC framework paradigm
built into it,  but its completely optional; you can use whatever
architecture you want and just use the python server pages aspect of
the engine.

the whole idea with Myghty is that theres a lot of options for how it
can be used, it wont let you down when the site gets big, and also its
as "out of the box" as it gets; just untar the dist, and it includes a
demo server that runs right out of the distribution directory so you
can see it run, browse the docs and source code, and start playing with
your own pages without even installing it.   Basing it off of
HTML::Mason was because i think the Mason development model is
extremely productive, having used it for several years, after lots of
experience with both JSP/servlet and ASP models which I feel are less
productive.  a lot of other people agree too; its the most popular web
framework for Perl, OReilly book and everything.

unfortunately I did Myghty a disservice by not showing up to hawk it at
Pycon.  as its deriviate of something from the perl world, i would
never expect it to become the "de-facto" python tool; but then also, i
think the python web framework world should remain open to various
architectures coexisting.