[Web-SIG] Stuff left to be done on WSGI

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Aug 28 05:33:04 CEST 2004

At 05:54 PM 8/27/04 -0700, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>Could you expand on the problems that would be encountered with pass-through?
>
>I don't think it would add redundancy in the CGI case, it would just
>require CGI WSGI servers to remove http headers from the environment and
>put them in the proper data structure.
>
>WRT URIs, my preference (once again, just stating what I'd do, not saying
>that I think this MUST change) would be to base it on the underlying
>specs, and not make it so CGI-centric; i.e., have 'abs_path' and 'query'
>(these are the BNF productions in both 2396 and 2616), and that's it;
>anything else (e.g., script location) would be in the environment, and
>probably server-specific.

And now every framework that's already based on parsing CGI variables is
stuck having to write code to turn all that stuff (including your
"server-specific" application location) into CGI variables.  *And* we get
to write something to take the CGI variables and turn them into this other
format, and throw away the script location so the script can try to figure
it back out again.

Why reinvent the wheel, when CGI has already shown itself to be of
practical use for this?