[Web-SIG] Regarding the WSGI draft

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Aug 27 20:27:44 CEST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 12:33 PM 8/27/04 -0400, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>
>> It's unfortunate that WSGI probably isn't going to be finished in time
>> for Python 2.4, so that BaseHTTPServer or some similar class could
>> support it in the stdlib.  2.4alpha3 is scheduled for September 3rd,
>> and is planned to be the last alpha; no new features are introduced at
>> the beta stage, so that means WSGI support would have to wait until
>> Python 2.5.
>

> That's one week: BaseHTTPServer is HTTP/1.0-based if I recall correctly,
> so whipping up support shouldn't take too long.  I have a draft
> WSGIServer based on the December draft of the PEP, so it'd just have to
> be beefed up.  Also, I think a CGI-based gateway (with some kind of
> error handling) should go in, and perhaps the utility functions we
> discussed previously.

[...]
I am not sure that's correct. My 2.3.4 version contains the following
comment:

"""HTTP server base class.

Note: the class in this module doesn't implement any HTTP request; see
SimpleHTTPServer for simple implementations of GET, HEAD and POST
(including CGI scripts).  It does, however, optionally implement
HTTP/1.1 persistent connections, as of version 0.3.
"""

and there's code in there that only complains if the HTTP version is
greater than 1.1.

Would be neat if you could do it, though it's a demanding and
error-prone task to generate code on such short notice.

Good luck!

regards
  Steve
--
XXX Please note recent change of email address