[Web-SIG] Defining a standard interface for common web tasks

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Oct 24 13:17:49 EDT 2003

> >The one problem I see with mod_python is its defaulting
> behavior - you
> >can get the same content several different ways. Specifically, the
> >following URLs
> >
> >	http://server/
> >	http://server/index.py
> >	http://server/index.py.index
> >
> >all refer to the same content, and this makes it rather difficult to
> >come up with a scheme for producing sensible relative URLs -- the
> >browsers don't always interpret the path the same way the
> server does --
> >which in turn can make it difficult to produce easily portable web
> >content.
> >  > >
> Hmmm ... looks like you are using AddHandler for .py files. I
> generally
> find that placing the Python files outside of the web directory, in
> libraries, works better. Then you can use SetHandler to get
> mod_python
> to handle everything, or AddHandler for specific file types
> to get it to
> handle some URLs. It makes more sense to me to have a URL of
> index.htm
> rather than index.py (why should the user care what I'm using
> to produce
> the file?)
>
> Hope that is relevant and/or helpful

Both, thanks very much. I only recently started using mod_python - it's
already been pointed out that my complaint is specific to the publisher
subsystem, and now I have what looks like a much better idea. Thanks a
lot.

The real problem is I just did what many new users do, and followed
along from the documentation. Which, by the way, is rather better than
for many other pieces of open source software, but there's always room
for improvement. Thanks again!

regards
--
Steve Holden          +1 703 278 8281        http://www.holdenweb.com/