[Web-SIG] SelectORacle

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Nov 17 11:02:40 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Steve Holden wrote:
> [John J Lee]
[...]
> > Because we don't need a CSS parser in the standard library?
> >
> > Where do people use CSS parsers outside of graphical web browsers?
> >
> Well, CSS is intended to accommodate all media, so I imaging eventually
> people will want to use it in aural web browsers as well. Plus CSS will
> be an important way to indicate presentation style, so it might
> conceivably be useful even for documents only intended for printed
> delivery.
>
> However, I don't really see it quickly becoming a standard library
> component. But I do think the ramifications of CSS will eventually reach
> further than you apparently anticipate.

I didn't intend to imply any prediction about where people will use CSS in
the future, or where CSS parsers might be "conceivably useful".  I just
wondered where people use them ATM.  Presumably the people asking for it
in the standard library are already using CSS in some way.  If so, I guess
they should explain what they're using it for.

John