[Web-SIG] Random thoughts

Thijs van der Vossen t.vandervossen at fngtps.com
Tue Nov 4 17:00:50 EST 2003

Bill Janssen wrote:
>>However, we should deal with uploaded files differently here - they
>>could be huge! You dno't want them read in automatically.
>
> Well, uploaded files appear as data in-line in the request body.  You
> have to read them from the connection to clear the request (and
> possibly to get to other data which follows the uploaded file).  The
> question is whether you want to pass them around as 200-MB strings, or
> whether you want to write them to a temp file and pass the file
> around.

Writing to temp files is probably what you want most of the time, but
for some applications it can be usefull to directly read the posted file
from the connection. Examples of this include feeding a event-based
parser with a large xml file of being able to display an upload
indicator for (multiple) file uploads.

Regards,
Thijs

--