[Types-sig] Re: Conformance model

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:40:08 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, skaller wrote:
> > You are swimming against the tide of history here. Java doesn't have
> > much undefined behavior either.
>
> 	java and python are not ISO standardised.
> C and C++ are, and allow undefined behaviour in some places,
> because it is necessary for performance.
> Pleny of people use C and C++ to write code. :-)
> Plenty of people use python and java and wish they ran
> faster.

That does not negate what Tim, Paul, and myself (among others) have been
saying: you're going to be unsuccessful in trying to introduce undefined
behavior in Python. Give it up already.

I believe that you have a possibility to get Guido to define a language
feature that says "it operates <thusly>, but on <xyz> it will operate
like <this>." The assert statement and some JPython-related issues are
examples. However, this is the wrong forum for this since it is *VERY*
dependent upon Guido's thoughts.

As I've said before: bringing up this issue is growing awfully tiresome. I
wish you would stop.

Happy Holidays,
-g

--