[Types-sig] Static typing considered ... UGLY

Edward Welbourne eddy@chaos.org.uk
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 18:39:26 +0000

Might I humbly suggest that:

  to incorporate static typing into python would change it
  beyond recognition

  it would probably be better to start from Algol and pythonify it,
  if that's where you want to go (hint: I don't)

  the right name for the relevant language would be typhoon
  because
        it's almost an anagram
        the real reason for doing it is <spit> speed
        when it breaks things it won't half tear them into little pieces

?  (albeit viper is already out there and doubtless good ;^)

A more pythonic approach would be to deploy some byte-code
hacks which notice assertions of form

assert isinstance(x, IntType)

and optimise ensuing code around the presumption that the value in
x when that assertion was executed is an int, allowing that all will
go horribly wrong if it isn't (which won't be checked unless __debug__),
but then we all know that speed kills.  But only do this if the user has
asked for type-asserted enhancements, and use a different .pyc
extension for it.  Might need a TypeException for throwing when it
all goes horribly wrong.

In a similar vein: could the interpreter and compiler exploit knowledge
of an assertion a function makes (about its return value) just before
returning ?  i.e. calls to the function could presume the truth of what
the function asserted ... not that I'm convinced that this is worth it,
just that if you *insist* on static type notions, these are pythonic
ways to approach it.

But this is all `speed enhancement' (I refuse to call it optimisation:
I have no evidence it gets anywhere near the optimum).  There is a
better way (I'll tell you about it late in January).

Note: I believe the function type() should be removed totally,
and isinstance should be replaced by (hint: think `type(x) in ...'
instead of `type(x) == ...')

def isinstance(x, *what):
    """True if x is an instance of any of the given types or classes."""
    for mode in what:
        if oldisinstance(x, mode): return 1
    return 0

Then `try: ... except (tuple, of, exceptions):' would, of course,
be using the given tuple as *types when checking the exception raised.

I'd vote to keep this sig open for unification (all objects are objects
and support the same protocols - a module with __call__ in its namespace
is callable, for instance) but if all that's to be discussed is <spit again>
static typing, I'd vote for closure (prematurely and *with* prejudice).
I intend to follow up this bull-headedness in January.

See y'all at IPC8.

	Eddy.
--
was it Sam Johnson who said something about knowledge of impending death
concentrating the mind ?  Hence The Grim Guido re-woke the types-sig.