[Tutor] Require Python assistance

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Fri Nov 9 15:17:18 EST 2018

As I see others have replied, the question is not easy to understand and seems so broad as to be overwhelming to actually do without further info.

It would be easier if someone asked if we could direct him to resources that either explain the algorithms needed or to full-blown packages/modules they could easily incorporate. From the text shown, does it not seem like some kind of HW assignment perhaps to compare and contrast various methods?

As usual, attachments cannot be seen. If someone is interested, you can ask, in situations like these, to be sent such things directly to your mail. Alternately, there are services out there that let you share files in the cloud for retrieval, sometimes even quite large files. Sending a link like that with your message might work, in moderation.

The message indicates they want to improve their computing skills. That may suggest wanting to implement algorithms in basic Python from scratch, as compared to wanting packages that do it all for you.

If I were asking for help, I have some things I would include that include spelling out what I need but also a synopsis of what I have done, such as go a search for: " python encryption package " or whatever. If it was an assignment in <TEXTBOOK> on page <PAGE> that might be worth mentioning.

As I see it, not speaking for Alan, I see several  kinds of useful purposes in tutoring. One is to help someone get started when they have no idea what resources to even look for. You may also want to ask questions to get them to spell out their need more clearly and perhaps figure out what to do. You then expect them to go away and do the work. If they come back, it should be with a more focused need and again, they should get advice and hints and maybe a brief example but not have the work done for them. If they have a bug, and have narrowed it down using print statements or debuggers or local help, and can reproduce it in a small example, maybe they can ask if others can detect some syntax error or logic error. I recently heard that Python 3.8 or so may add a new assignment operator (:=) so if they tried it and failed under existing versions, we might tell them to either not use it now or wait.

This group is open and welcoming and should remain so. But it is reasonable to expect that answers and suggestions will not be given unless enough information is presented. I understand that attachments are not allowed for an assortment of reasons. The forum is hosted on python.org and space is limited. I could see creating a companion group such as pythontutorattachments at groups.yahoo.com where you could send messages with attachments for those who wish to subscribe with the main interaction remaining here or one-on-one.

Back to the case in point. Can I assume all the encryption methods have been implemented in anything from algorithm pseudocode to in some programming language (perhaps other than Python) in a form you can read the source code? If so, assuming multilingual abilities, the problem becomes one of translating it into Python. But, of course, if the need is to make it work in all reasonable versions of Python, good luck!

But before we are asked, SEARCH for things. A few well placed keywords can locate so much. Part of learning to be a programmer is to do as much as you can by yourself.