[Tutor] Install issues with wxPython in OSX 10.11 El Capitan

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 27 19:24:02 EST 2015

On 27/12/15 22:35, Ricardo Martínez wrote:
> Hi to everyone, this is my first post to the list, I have problems
> installing wxPython in OSX El Capitan, the install end with a message that
> indicates that there's nothing to install,

You need to tell us exactly what you did. Your message is far too vague
to even guess what's happening.

What did you download(exact url please)?
How did you install it?
What exact error message do you get (cut 'n paste not summarize)?
What were you doing when it happened (ie what messages did you get just
before the install 'ends')?

Also, you realize wxPython is for Python 2.x only?

>  I have installed Python 2.7 by
> default and 3 by myself, and I'd like to know another graphic library

Tkinter is the standard GUI toolkit that comes with Python
(although the default install on MacOS may not have it). It works
with both 2.x and 3.x although there are some minor changes
between versions.

You can also use Apple's Cocoa framework if you are only deploying
on Mac. You can even use the Mac development tools (XCode etc) to
build the GUI and write the code. Check the MacPython community web
pages for details and a tutorial.

> use in OSX and Windows, thanks a lot.

But if you want Windows as well then TkInter (or wxPython on 2.x)
is probably the simplest option. You can also use PyQt/Side which
is a very powerful tool but also more complex to use.

A lot depends on whether you have any experience of building
GUIs in other languages. If so you will pick up any of them
easily, if not it will be fairly hard going initially regardless
of toolkit.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site