[Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux (Robert Sjoblom)

Joaquim Santos jsantos.lazer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:23:46 CET 2012

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:10:42 +0100
> From: Robert Sjoblom <robert.sjoblom at gmail.com>
> To: Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>
> Cc: tutor at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for
>        Python on Linux

> >> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
> >> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
> >> wondering what you as users find effective.
>
> I fiddled a bit with the Eric Python IDE; Eric5 for Python3 and Eric4
> for Python2; overall I'd say that Eclipse was a better experience, but
> Eric was by no means bad. I guess it comes down to user preferences.
> As for books, Dive Into Python 3 is one of the better books I've come
> across.
>
> http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/
>
> --
> best regards,
> Robert S.

> -> My 2 cents on that (being also a beginner...).

A very interesting and customizable IDE for Linux is the Spyder project.
http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/
It was previously known as Pydee and has lot's of features that I, as a
beginner, find good, like the calltips, function browser, console, online
help... and so on!

Best regards!

Joaquim Santos