[Tutor] Help with making emacs work with python syntax checking?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Jul 4 17:12:50 CEST 2011

Tidal Espeon wrote:

> I need help with installing this setup on my emacs:
> http://hide1713.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/setup-perfect-python-environment-
in-emacs/
> The problem is that I have no clue how to access any .emacs file or
> .emacs.d folder. I'm running linux, and they are apparently invisible in
> my home directory. Trying to create those makes linux tell me that they're
> already there. I've already installed the latest ropemacs, pyflakes, etc.
> I'd sincerely appreciate help, since the IDLE just doesn't cut it for me.

Files and directories whose name starts with a dot are hidden by default.
You can make ls show them with the --all/-a option:

$ touch .name_that_startswith_a_dot
$ ls
$ ls -a
.  ..  .name_that_startswith_a_dot

Even though they aren't visible you can open and edit them like any other
file, e. g. with emacs:

$ emacs -nw .name_that_startswith_a_dot