[Tutor] Starting python from a DOS prompt from any directory?

Steve Oldner Steven.Oldner at LA.GOV
Mon Jan 1 18:03:41 CET 2007

Dittos, guys.

Alan, I work for a state government, so I'm not suppose to download PYTHON without submitting reasons and getting permissions.   I'm an applications programmer working on SAP (ASAP programmer), and we have some COBOL and Cold Fusion also.  So we are pretty compartmentalized.

Anyway thanks for the tip and I'll use it next time.

Thanks,

Steve

________________________________

From: tutor-bounces at python.org on behalf of Daniel McQuay
Sent: Sun 12/31/2006 5:43 PM
To: Alan Gauld
Cc: tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Starting python from a DOS prompt from any directory?

yeah, you know what i totally didn't think about setting the environmental values (yeah Media Center is the same as XP Pro). i guess i should of known that. geeze now i feel like a moron. however, i didn't know about that quick little DOS trick.

thanks a lot guys for such a quick response and pointing out the obvious.

this has got to be the best and most friendly list ever.

happy new year to you all,

On 12/31/06, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

	"Steve Oldner" <Steven.Oldner at LA.GOV> wrote

	> change defaults (programmers aren't allowed to do system
	> admin stuff, heck, we can't even move our PC's or monitors).

	You can just type in the PATH statement every time you
	start DOS

	PATH= %PATH%;D:\Python25

	And it will have the same effect.

	You can even create a Batch file and put it into
	somewhere your PATH can see

	D:\Python25\python %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

	should work.

	But how did you install Python if you can't change the
	system? If you have access to install programs you
	have access to set environment variables, at least
	for yourself!

	Alan G.

	Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org

Daniel McQuay