[TriZPUG] pyspread: python is the grid

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sat Mar 13 16:30:08 CET 2010

Anyone played with this? Seems like a great idea (famous last words :-)

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pyspread/index.php?title=Tutorial

http://pyspread.sourceforge.net/
> Instead of spreadsheet formulas, Python expressions are entered into
> the spreadsheet cells. Each expression returns a Python object that
> can be accessed from other cells. These objects can represent
> anything including lists or matrices.
> Since Python modules can be easily used without external scripts,

> * arbitrary size rational numbers (via gmpy),

> * fixed point decimal numbers for business calculations, (via the
>   decimal module from the standard library) and

> * advanced statistics including plotting functions (via RPy)

and apparently all the numpy/scipy funstuff

> can be used in the spreadsheet. Everything is directly available
> from each cell

with absolute addressing == slicing and relative addressing via the
"magic variables X (row), Y (column) and Z (table)."

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>