[Spambayes] can't get spam bayes to work

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 7 05:24:32 CEST 2005

> That's precisely what I did.  It didn't work.  That's why I
> e-mailed you.  Please give me credit for some basic intelligence.

You asked for step by step instructions, so that's what I pointed you
towards.  It was not clear from your message that you had managed to
complete the instructions, but were experiencing a problem.  If you had
given that information (and the error message, as in this message), then you
would have got a different reply.

> When I followed the instructions,
[...]
> the error message I received said: "The connection to
> the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net',
> Server: 'localhost',
> Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
> 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

The most likely cause is that SpamBayes isn't running.  Does the SpamBayes
icon appear in the system tray (collection of icons next to the clock)?  Is
it red or green?  If you double-click it, does the review page open?

If it isn't running (isn't there, is red, or doesn't work), then the log
files will most likely have the explanation.  The troubleshooting guide
explains where to find the log files: a copy is installed with SpamBayes, or
you can use the one online:

<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/spambayes/spambayes/window
s/docs/troubleshooting.html?rev=HEAD>

=Tony.Meyer