[Spambayes] RE: Memory error/segmentation fault

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 13 22:15:46 CET 2005

> Running SB1.0.1 on Mac OSx (10.3.7), I get a Segmentation Fault from
> sb_imapfilter -t -v and a Memory Error from sb_imapfilter -c
> -v . The log for the former produced nothing unusual - just a list of
> Fetches (using -i4) and then nothing. The (sanitized) log from the
> latter is attached, generated with sb_imapfilter -c -v -i4

This has come up before, both here and elsewhere (often with python's
imaplib and OS X, sometimes with other python and OS X and sometimes with
just OS X).  The problem is difficult to handle, because the error is
occurring a long way from SpamBayes (SpamBayes calls Python's imaplib, which
tries to do a C malloc to get memory, which OS X fails).

(Your log does look slightly different than previous ones - which I had
hoped we managed to skip over now - but the "*** malloc_zone_malloc[6722]:
argument too large: 4294901818" error hints that it's the same problem.)

Do you have a *really* large message (it seems to be asking for 4GB of
memory, but that message wouldn't necessarily be that large) in a folder
that both -c and -t are looking in?  If so, moving that message elsewhere
should be a workaround for the issue.

Longer term, I'm not sure what to do.  There was discussion that I believe
was related to this on python-dev recently, and I had hoped that they would
come up with something that would fix it for us.  That doesn't seem to be
the case, though, unfortunately.  Maybe patching imaplib would help - I'll
try that for 1.0.2 and 1.1, anyway, and see if the reports stop.

=Tony.Meyer