[Spambayes] IMAP Duplication

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 12 20:29:31 EDT 2003

> I just installed SpamBayes to use with Eudora.  I read all my
> e-mail through an IMAP server.  Whenever SB checks for spam,
> then Eudora checks for e-mail, I get duplicate headers.  I've
> logged in to my webmail, and saw that the original messages
> have been deleted, but not purged yet.  Is there any way to
> stop this from happening?

Can't you configure Eudora to not display messages that are marked as
deleted?  You can set spambayes to purge messages on exit, although this
will purge *all* messages marked as deleted, not just those that spambayes
has used, and there is, of course, no way to get mail back if something goes
wrong (and this is alpha software).  If you want to do that, you can just
add the "expunge" option in the "imap" section of your config file to "True"
(this isn't exposed via the web interface).

Unfortunately those extra copies of the messages have to be created because
IMAP is a terrible protocol; the particular problem here is that IMAP
doesn't allow you to make changes to a message, or even to move a message
between folders.  You should end up with two deleted copies of all mail -
one with just a spambayes id header, which lets spambayes keep track of the
message, and one that has the full classification.  As soon as a new copy of
the message is created, though, the old one is marked for deletion.

Sorry this isn't much help; the only way around this that I've thought of is
to have an IMAP proxy rather than an IMAP filter, but people were much
keener on the filter at the time it was created, and even that could end up
with some of the same problems.