[Spambayes] Please help - mysterious problem

Jones, Brandon Brandon.Jones at NAU.EDU
Thu Oct 2 11:53:27 EDT 2003

We've used SpamBayes for several months on 2 Windows XP (with Outlook
XP) machines with no problems - it's a terrific product and we plan to
deploy it for many of our 100+ users throughout the college. Last week
we installed it on a Windows 2K (with Outlook XP) machine, and it seemed
to be working fine. But when the user logged off and logged back in (he
had Outlook in his startup folder so it loaded automatically on login),
Outlook froze and an error message popped up saying that SpamBayes had
caused a fatal error. The error asked if the user wanted to deactivate
SpamBayes so Outlook could load, and he selected yes. Outlook loaded
fine, but the SpamBayes buttons were gone from the toolbar. The user
then called me for help. A description of what I tried is listed below.
In each case, "FAILED" means the Object Libraries didn't load upon the
first opening of Outlook after installing SpamBayes, and the SpamBayes
buttons didn't show up on the Outlook toolbar.

1.	Followed your suggestions in troubleshooting.html for resetting
Outlook's toolbars and checking the logs. The logs contained no errors,
and resetting the toolbars didn't bring the SpamBayes buttons back;
Result: FAILED
2.	Un-installed SpamBayes from the control panel; rebooted;
re-installed SpamBayes; Opened Outlook; Result: FAILED
3.	Un-installed SpamBayes and Outlook XP from the control panel;
rebooted; re-installed Outlook XP (+ updates); re-installed SpamBayes;
Opened Outlook; Result: FAILED
4.	Un-installed SpamBayes and Outlook XP from the control panel;
deleted all SpamBayes entries in the registry; rebooted; re-installed
Outlook XP (+ updates); re-installed SpamBayes; Opened Outlook; Result:
FAILED
5.	Un-installed SpamBayes and Office XP from the control panel;
deleted all SpamBayes entries in the registry; rebooted; re-installed
Office XP (+ updates); re-installed SpamBayes; Opened Outlook; Result:
FAILED
6.	Un-installed SpamBayes and Office XP from the control panel;
deleted all SpamBayes entries in the registry; Re-installed Windows 2000
Service Pack 4; rebooted; re-installed Office XP (+ updates);
re-installed SpamBayes; Opened Outlook; Result: FAILED

Each time SpamBayes was re-installed, the SpamBayes folder was put in
C:/Program Files, and SpamBayes showed up in the Control Panel. But for
some reason it will not load up with Outlook no matter what we do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon M. Jones

Help Desk Coordinator