[Spambayes] Outlook 98

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Nov 12 17:38:40 EST 2003

[Eric Vogel]
> I highly suggest upgrading to Outlook 2003, you will see a HUGH
> improvement.

Especially in the area of offline use. The "cached mode" is light-years
ahead of any of the other offline synchronization options I've seen on
any mail system. If you disconnect from the server, outlook simply
doesn't care. When you reconnect, it synchronizes all of your folders in
the background as CPU and network bandwidth permit, so it doesn't bug
you. Very nice.

Spambayes doesn't deal completely with the intermittent timing of cached
mode, so I have to manually run my filters every once it a while.
Hopefully that will be fixed in the near future, but even if it is not,
cached mode is worth it.

[Eric Vogel]
> (NT 4 had a 4 Gig limitation on the first partition...it is
> pretty full, I have to wipe :(

This is even more off-topic, but NT4 actually didn't have such a
limitation. It was just that the NT4 boot disk/CD setup program had a 4
GB, FAT-only limitation. If you formatted your hard disk on another NT
machine, you could put it in a new machine and NT4 could install onto
it. I had an 8 GB NTFS boot partition on one of my old NT4 computers. Of
course MS didn't document this anywhere.

More significantly, you don't have to wipe your boot partition. You can
use Ghost or Partition Magic to move your installation to a new array or
set of disks, even converting it to NTFS and a new cluster size along
the way if you haven't done so already. A lot less hassle than a
complete reinstall.

If you want to talk about this process further, please mail me off-list.

Regards,
	Ryan