[Spambayes] MAPI error prevents message scanning

Patrick Frazer frazer at beacon.com
Thu Jul 10 14:25:15 EDT 2003

Hello,

I’m using SpamBayes 1.0a4 (source version) with Outlook 2000 on WinXP.
Occasionally, a spam will drop into my inbox and won’t get classified
properly.  (Performing a manual filter on the inbox will classify it as
spam)  When this occurs, the log file contains an entry that looks like
this:

Unexpected MAPI error opening message
Exception 0x800ccc19 (OLE error 0x800ccc19): OLE error 0x800ccc19

The key piece of information is probably that my inbox is on an IMAP server.
Most of the time this occurs is when I have a message composition window
open or I’m manipulating messages in some way.  (moving to other folders,
etc.)  The OLE exception is always the same: 0x800ccc19.

I’d like to determine if this exception could be handled more gracefully,
perhaps even retrying if the conditions surrounding the exception are
transient.  I’m a die-hard Perl hacker, but I’d be willing to familiarize
myself with Python to contribute to the project.  (My current dream is a
centralized SpamBayes IMAP proxy for use by entire workgroups in a corporate
environment.  I think it’d be cool to eliminate the web interface for daily
training of SpamBayes and instead rely on the movement of messages between
the inbox and spam folders to trigger training.)

Anyway, can anyone suggest a starting point here?  (Such as the
identification of the MAPI event in question)  Does this issue merit the
submission of a bug report on SourceForge?

Thanks,

Patrick Frazer