[Spambayes] Newbie question on non-standard POP3 client

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 12 18:33:25 EDT 2003

> Windows XP sp1 --- Yea, I know... Get a real operating system. :)
> "The Bat" POP3 client application

Back when I was mucking about with the smtpproxy I did test "The Bat"
out, so it should work.  I can't recall if that was when I was using
Win2K or WinXP, but it shouldn't matter.

> I start pop3proxy with the following command:
>                  pop3proxy.py -b dubhlinn.com
> I also used the browser interface to create the bayescustomize.ini
> file.

When you used the browser interface, did you enter the POP3 server
information there?  If so, you don't need to include it on the command
line (i.e. you can just have: "pop3proxy.py -b".

> My client doesn't seem to be connecting to the POP3 server through the
> proxy. Is there a log file stored some place?

If you edit your bayescustomize.ini file to include:
[globals]
verbose:True

Then the whole POP3 conversation will be logged into a file called
_pop3proxy.log.  Otherwise there isn't really anything unless you are
seeing a traceback in console window.

If you telnet to localhost 110 when the proxy is running, do you
connect?