[Spambayes] whitelist

Adam Walker adam.walker at rbwconsulting.com
Mon Aug 11 17:06:44 EDT 2003

From:
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#why-don-t-you-add-whitelisting-bla
cklisting-to-spambayes

6.6   Why don't you add whitelisting/blacklisting to SpamBayes?
The main reason is that for the most part SpamBayes doesn't need it! As long
as you keep training on unsure or mis-classified mail, SpamBayes will learn
what you consider good mail without needing any specific lists. In addition,
tokens are generated from email addresses, so an automatic 'whitelist' (of
sorts) is generated, as is a similar blacklist.

Whitelists and blacklists are problematic anyway, because 'spoofing'
(pretending you are someone else) is reasonably simple, and also very
common. So, more often than not, they'll lead to incorrect results. However,
there are some commercial products based on SpamBayes that offer
whitelisting - see the related page for more information.

Also, blacklisting is really a server side responsibility. SpamBayes is a
content filter - it looks at what is inside the "envelope". Blacklisting,
DNS based spam handling like rejecting mail without valid origin or from a
known spam source is really the job of the mail server. In an ideal
environment such mail will be rejected before it reaches you as it deals
with what's "written on" the "envelope".

Applying content based filtering on the server is complex, as everyone's
feeling about content differs - this is why it is a client end role that
tools like SpamBayes fill.