[Spambayes] Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue Nov 26 07:30:18 2002

[Neale]
> I also suspect that the average Windows or Mac user may tolerate having
> to install Python before they can use the Whiz-Bam-Anti-Spam tool, but
> that said user will probably not tolerate installing Python and ZODB.

Actually, I doubt this will fly.  We will need to create a stand-alone DLL,
and a "one click" installer.  This should be interesting <wink>.  Good
excuse to look at how these Python distribution tools have progressed
recently.

So, given that, ZODB is sounding attractive.  I would package it up, so a
few hundred extra K is probably no big deal.  The code could fall back to
the slow-loading pickles, so people running from source still work, just
possibly not as well.

> I could be way, way off on this, though.  I don't even know the mind of
> the average Windows user well enough to understand why they want to run
> Windows in the first place <wink>

Well, you don't have to look too far.  I tend to find they are people who
don't take operating systems quite so seriously <wink>

Mark.