[Spambayes] Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
Tue Nov 26 06:35:44 2002

So then, Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu> is all like:

> So Debian can't manage to compile the code for 2.1 and 2.2?  I'm
> honestly puzzled why this is an issue.

> Can't Debian users install software some other way?  They're going to
> have to download and install spambayes.

I was just trying to illustrate that for Joe Random User, installing
Python is easy, and installing ZODB may be easy, but there's a good
chance that installing ZODB with Python2.2 will involve a compile.  And
I'm guessing that Tim1's sisters wouldn't be comfortable doing that.  I
know my sister wouldn't.

I also suspect that the average Windows or Mac user may tolerate having
to install Python before they can use the Whiz-Bam-Anti-Spam tool, but
that said user will probably not tolerate installing Python and ZODB.

I could be way, way off on this, though.  I don't even know the mind of
the average Windows user well enough to understand why they want to run
Windows in the first place <wink>

Neale